Monday, August 8, 2011

Little Stuff that Makes Me Happy

Since I've been working on this blog, I've noticed that small stuff seems to make me much happier than usual.  So today, I will just publicly be happy about some of it, hoping that maybe it makes you all happy too, or inspires you to find some of your own little stuff to be happy about.

Hummingbirds.  We have a crazy little hummingbird that comes to a feeder outside my kitchen window.  He's very territorial, and tries to fend off other creatures from the sugar water, seeming not to notice that he is smaller than a mouse.  He flies as if the sugar water has fermented into a stouter beverage, and he never fails to make me happy.

Chocolate Almond Ice Cream.   I've always enjoyed this flavor, or its cousin with marshmallows, Rocky Road.  Since I've been in Oklahoma, I've elevated my enjoyment of this ice cream to a new height, because my family and I can go to these local ice cream parlors called Braum's and get a big scoop on a waffle cone for $1.30.  Yikes.

The Way My Dog Looks at Me.   I have this old mixed breed dog who is a bit neurotic, and very stand offish to new people.  She's quite the chicken, in fact.  But to me and my family, she is the most loving, sweet, and devoted creature ever to walk the earth.  She looks at me with this very old, very wise look, as if to say, "I know all about you, and I still love you."  She makes me happy.

Time Alone With my Husband.  In the mornings, early, my husband and I get up and work out together.  Then I make breakfast as he gets ready for work, and we get to have usually our only one on one conversation of the day.  The fact that he still likes to get up and talk to me says, "I know all about you, and I still love you."  Yes, there is a theme developing there.

Focusing on the things that make me happy never fails to make it a better day.  I think maybe I'll do it more often. 




No comments:

Post a Comment